SKILLED NURSING FACILITY SELECTION
11 questions to ask when touring a skilled nursing facility:
- What kind of therapists are offered at the facility?
- How often will my family member receive therapy?
- What physician will follow my loved one’s care at your facility?
- What portion of the expense will my insurance cover?
- What activities do you offer?
- How do you coordinate the staffing at your facility?
- How often do you shower the residents at your facility?
- How and where are meals provided?
- How will I know when my family member is ready to discharge from your facility?
- If my loved one needs long term care is there an available bed?
- What are your visiting hours?
Things to consider when choosing a skilled nursing facility:
Proximity to home — is the distance something you are willing to commute regularly?
Insurance — does the facility accept payment from your primary and secondary insurances?
Length of stay — if you need to stay long term, does the facility you are considering accept long term patients?
Services — does the facility offer the services you will be requiring during your stay?